The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: “Cleanliness is half of faith” (Muslim)
With that in mind, the Islamic Education and Research Academy (iERA) are launching a new campaign to bring communities together to keep our streets and neighbourhoods clean!
This campaign is designed to empower and motivate local Muslim communities to work together with others in their area to clean up their neighbourhoods!
This saying of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) shows that Islam provides us with a strict code of conduct when it comes to maintaining our cleanliness and purification, both physically and spiritually.
In other words, Muslims should take care of their personal hygiene by ensuring that they are well groomed as well as their surroundings!
It’s time to act!
1: GET READY
- You can work independently or with local neighbourhood watch/community centres. It may be worthwhile contacting your local council and informing them if they have equipment or can provide a litter run once you have finished.
- Decide on the area that you will clean, whether it is certain streets, parks, graveyards etc.
- Contact the One Community department to order your leaflets and toolkit.
- Finalise what day and time the team will come together to carry out the clean-up.
- Utilise your Social Media links to invite local Muslims to come and take part, even if it is just to help sponsor or fund the project. This includes marketing the activity via posters in masjids and shops or leaflet distribution after jumm’ah (See Neighbourhood Clean-up – Poster and Flyer)
- Purchase necessary items or encourage others to donate items to you (see Items list).
- Reach out to the media with a Press Release and approach local journalists (see Neighbourhood Clean-up Press Release Template for guidance).
- Make sure you are ready to get the right kind of footage throughout the activity (see Media and Footage guidance)
2: TAKE ACTION
- Meet at the designated meeting point. The Team Leader should deliver a brief of what the activity consists of.
- Work in pairs. You can/should engage with passersby and inform them of the reasons why you are doing this project (give them a Neighbourhood Clean-up leaflet).
- Prior to cleaning anyone’s driveway or path, knock on their door and explain what you are doing. (Give them a Neighbourhood clean-up leaflet)
- Request video feedback from residents or a picture.
- Get formal feedback interviews with neighbours, team volunteers and with organiser (see Media and Footage guidance for full details)
3: FOLLOW UP
- Once you have completed the activity, assemble the team together and get a brief feedback from them all.
- Footage is pivotal because through it, we can motivate Muslims across the UK (and potentially the world!) to do the same activity.
- Upload videos and pictures onto social media using hashtags #NeighbourhoodCleanUp #IslamicCleanliness, or email our media department ([email protected]). We will give you access to our Dropbox to upload the footage and we will also edit the video for you.
Items required to complete this campaign
- Litter pickers
- Garden gloves (thick gloves)
- Black bin bags
In reference to our surroundings, the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “…removing a harmful thing from the path is a charitable act.” (Bukhari and Muslim)
Unfortunately, litter and inappropriate disposal of waste are found to be prevalent upon our streets. As Muslims, we believe strongly in the importance of keeping our neighbourhoods clean.
This means, if we are to remove rubbish and litter from the path, which can be classed as causing harm to others, it is not only an act of charity, but it is also from our faith. Moreover, for such a small action, the rewards of which are huge
The Prophet (peace be upon him) also said, “While a person was going along the path, he found a thorny branch upon it. He pushed it to a side and Allah approved (this action) of his and (as a mark of appreciation) granted him pardon.” (Muslim)
Therefore, if we all adhered to such prophetic teachings, there is no doubt that our streets would be among the cleanest in the world!